Saturday, July 08, 2006

On Running

There is a book I want to read called "On Killing". It describes the way the Military trains its soldiers to get over killing and the psychologicqal ramifications of that training. I haven't ordered it yet... Maybe I just don't want to know.

I have kept up my running, and yes Pogue, it has stayed enjoyable! I run 2-3 miles three times a week. I have a little of the "Oh do I really want to run??" when I first wake up but then I "just do it" to coin a phrase. It FEELS GOOD! I am so surprised. I want to keep this up so it stays enjoyable. I have also cut 2 minutes off my time.

Tuesday I worked doing the Fourth of July Parade (lots of fun) and then worked a booth at a local park (not as much fun). I got 5 good leads. One of them was assigned to me. I called and called and called and never got an answer. I left one message. Yesterday I decided I am trying one more time and told him "This is my last call... if you don't call me back, I won't be calling anymore." He called me within 30 minutes.

Potential Recruit "Did I mention my probation? Yeah I have 2 more years of probation and a $6K fine to pay..."
SGT Lori (heavy sigh) "Um, no you said you had no law violations. Well I am sorry I can't help you...Oh the Army says they are willing to work with you? Wow that's great. Let me know how that turns out."

I get a phone call from my NCOIC that 2 names came up for me on 1800GOGUARD. My computer is STILL not configured to work so the names go to him. I call the first name, she is scheduled for an appointment with me this morning. She is Prior Service Army. This *should* be easy.

The second one is in the process of getting her GED and losing 30 pounds. She has lost 15 pounds already so she is motivated. I will meet with her and her parents the 19th of July.

I visited some schools yesterday but since school is out not many people were there. I also put out some countertop displays in local stores and met people. I plan on getting a solid lead today after I meet with this girl.

Next week I have meetings all week long in South Atlanta. Oh Joy! Things are moving slowly but... I should be moving right along with recruits soon.

7 Comments:

Blogger Alucard said...

That's great that you're keeping up on your running. I try to run 3 miles about 4 days a week. When I was in the Navy Reserves, I can't tell you how many fat Chiefs I saw. I realize the Army's probably a bit different, but I'm sure most of the branches could up their PT.

Good luck on those leads!

Saturday, July 08, 2006 12:48:00 PM  
Blogger Pogue said...

Wow, you're just kicking butt! I'm glad things are working so well for you. Oh, and when you read the book, take it with a grain of salt...

Saturday, July 08, 2006 3:21:00 PM  
Blogger Cop the Truth said...

"On Killing" by Col. Grossman is an excellent read for any soldier. I highly recommend it.

Sunday, July 09, 2006 1:23:00 AM  
Blogger SGT Lori said...

Jason, the Guard is working hard on making sure their soldiers are battle ready. It doesn't always work that way but... My command is very big on being fit. I am PS Navy too and I NEVER saw any of the fat Chiefs work out. The ones that were in shape worked out all the time. Now that I am in the Guard I have yet to see a fat E-8 or E-9.

Pogue and Cop, I'll get the book and read it. The reveiws were pretty good, I was just a littl leary.

Crypto, I am replying to you privately.

Sunday, July 09, 2006 10:20:00 AM  
Blogger SGT Lori said...

Crpto, I just found out you no longer have a blog here and no email listed. Can you click on the contact me and email me privately?

Sunday, July 09, 2006 10:22:00 AM  
Blogger SuGaRBuTT said...

I just spent a large chunk of my day yesterday reading your blog...it's good to see military things from a female perspective every now and then...

...and I concur with Pogue and Cop...get the book...It's an interesting read, and much of my book is underlined and ear-marked...(I studied philosophy in college - this book was right up my alley).

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 7:33:00 AM  
Blogger Mauser*Girl said...

I bought "On Killing" several years ago to add to my psych library and it is well worth the read. I disagreed with some of it, but that's me. ;)

Another interesting read if you have any interest in the psych aspects / stress / PTSD is the book "Achilles in Vietnam". You will need to have a good working knowledge of Homer's Iliad to go along with it, though.

Thursday, July 13, 2006 2:00:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home