Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Home, Sweet Home

Well, I took the highway through Mississippi and Alabama. It shaved about 30 minutes off my time but was not worth the headache. Lots of lights etc. I got home safely and I was so glad. Grace was in heaven! She would not let me out of her sight and even spent the night inbetween mommy and daddy in the bed. Josh was still at Church Camp so I got to see him the next day. He was very happy and so was I. Payson and I had to wait somewhat. The kids were overwhelming and Payson gave me room to spend time with them. However, Grandma watched the kids on Monday and we spent the whole day together....alone!! We had a great reunion.

Tuesday, July Fourth, was my first day back at work. I was in the local parade as you can see. I was able to swing for Joshua and his three older boy cousins to ride in the huge troop carrier! You talk about 4 very happy boys. They thought they had died and gone to heaven.
Later I worked our booth at the local July Fourth Fair at the park. OK, what is hotter than Georgia between 1000 and 1600 on July Fourth? Probably Iraq, but I know it was hotter than 500 Hells! I was sweating profusely and sucking down water as fast as I could. It was all worth it as I got to meet quite a few Vets. I also talked to lots of prospective recruits and got five good solid leads. We will see what comes of it. I gave them all to my squad leader as I am not officially "on mission" until August first. It gave me good practice and a chance to meet and talk to people. I had fun, ate too much and had my hand shaken and given so many hugs. I was offered free meals (I paid anyway) and ordered a snowcone but the vendor refused to take my money. It was so sweet. I had a great time but the best moment was when the Flag was raised as a local singer belted out the National Anthem. The other two guys and I came to attention and saluted with pride. Many people stopped to listen with respect and when it was done I heard quite a few cheers. Man that felt good.

I still have a string attached to my side for a few weeks as I get trained and processed in. Soon I will be my own person and free to roam the streets of Floyd County. :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger SGT Lori said...

Thank you Brian!!

Friday, July 07, 2006 7:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home