Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Week Three

We had another exam today and I passed. That finished up our section on regulations and administrative portion of the course. Now for the meat! We started communication skills today. I think this will be very interesting.

I knew it was coming. The Platoon Sergeant is looking for "volunteers" to do close order drill and call cadence. I have NEVER ever had to march soldiers. So I decided to "volunteer" and that way be somewhat prepared. I said I would do it next Wednesday. Wish me luck!!!

They broke the class up into smaller groups and we are getting to know each other better. We have people here from all over the country. We have people from all walks of life. A guy from Georgia was sharing that when he first joined the Army, he was a loser. He came from the wrong side of the tracks, had a bad attitude and was on his way out of the Army via a bad conduct discharge. However a very wise senior NCO saw something in him and began to mentor him. He said the NCO took the time to show he cared, advise him, and take him under his wing. A life was turned around, a bad ending rewritten and a now he is doing the same for others.

We began to share how the military changed our lives, how a certain NCO made a difference. This one was on the one way road of drugs, that one was drifting from one thing to another without direction or purpose, still another came from a bad family and was looking a grim future in the face. Each shared about how an NCO had taken the time and made a difference.

I have worked a lot of civilian jobs, but I have never heard what I heard today outside of the military. Person after person shared about lives changed, futures shaped. It is a pretty incredible thing. When someone opts to join the military they are commited to serve their country for a predetermined amount of time. Those around them help them to be a better person. You don't just get fired for screwing up. Those around you who are great leaders make sure that you have every opportunity to change, to grow and to mature. Sounds sappy, but its' a beautiful thing.

I am trying to lose weight but I am NOT! I am getting nice and firm but now I look very muscular instead of svelt. Sigh.

I FINALLY got paid. whew. I was getting worried, but I checked my bank online and the money is there. Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches for lunch was getting old.

Son called my cell phone FIVE TIMES this afternoon. He misses me. He had some questions, called, asked his questions and then hung up. Then he remembered something else and called back. Then he called to just tell me he loves me and misses me. Then he called to say that he was tired of me being gone and didn't want to just come for the weekend but wanted this whole silly business to be over and for me to come home. Finally he called to say he wasn't sure if it was ok to call my cell phone so many times and to say he was sorry if it was too much. I had a good bitter-sweet laugh. What a crazy kid. What a sweetheart. I called him back and told him he can call my cell phone whenever he wants, and it might take me awhile to get back to him but I would return his calls. He was very happy to hear that.

I will be so glad to be home. Just 2 and a half weeks away now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Your story about your son made me get all teary-eyed.
Hey Lori. If you get where you can use computer speakers, check this guy's web site out. http://rickyleemusic.com/ When his page loads it plays his patriotic song about a female soldier. Pretty good!

Thursday, June 15, 2006 12:35:00 PM  
Blogger SGT Lori said...

Kim, I listened to the song. Brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for posting the website. I'll have to get my son to listen to it.

Brian, as always, you are a great encourager!! Thank you.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 10:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home