Saturday, June 03, 2006

Cadence, running and on being young

I know I have written about this before... I LOVE hearing cadence being called. It is REALLY enjoyable when you aren't in formation marching or running to it! LOL That being said I am rapidly realizing that if I intend on staying in the National Guard, and I do, I need to LEARN how to CALL cadence. I intend on retiring from the Guard after 24 years of service, 16 years from now. The Guard is very serious about being battle ready and training their soldiers to be ready to deploy at any time. My guess is, since I have never served in the Regular Army, that the Guard trains more at basic skills than the Army. Sooo, I bought a CD calling "Running to Cadence, U.S. Army Rangers". I can play it in my car and learn the cadences. Fun, huh?

Gonna see the war film "The War Tapes" by 2 New Hamshire National Guardsmen?? I sure am. If you don't know what I am talking about you haven't been watching Fox News.

Well, I failed the run portion of my PT test by 10 seconds. So now I am officially pissed off at myself. For the last month I have been working so hard at my new job that I COMPLETELY let my working out fall to the wayside. Not anymore. I ran/walked three miles this morning already, will do it again tomorrow too. Monday we have a "Company Run" which means running in formation. Eventually, once I learn these cadences by heart, I will volunteer to call cadence. I will run three miles everyday until my retest in 10 days. Then I will run three miles three times a week. On the bright side?? I finished my run. I worked hard and I finished. Didn't pass.....but I didn't fall out and quit. Winners never quit and quitters never win.

After PT (at 0430-0700) we attended class all day and were released for the weekend, but not before we were warned about the local dangers, namely strip bars and booze! What I, and other soldiers, find ironic is that by listing all the places to stay away from....the staff has successfully educated everyone on where the local strip bars are! So prior to the brief the young and ever horny soldiers had NO clue where to go, but now they do! LOL.

I have very nice accomodations here at the Arkansas National Guard HQ. I have my own room and share a bathroom with the girl next door but no problem. My room is situated at the end of the hall near the back door of the building. This is nice because I just go out my room to the door and our formation is just outside each morning. However, last night all the partyers were tromping, hootin/hollerin/laughin right past my room. My neighbor couldn't get her key to work and then began pounding on my door so she could walk through the bathroom to her room. She was talking loudly in the hall to the three or four soldiers with her "I always have problems with this stupid key!" Yeah, well the J.D. bottle they had was an indication of a problem not related to the key! They are all sooooo young. It is actually hilarious to watch the dance of youth from this side of the room.

I was a hellion in my day. The Navy really straightened my *ss out. However I was still a wild child. I had my partying days and my days of raising hell. I am glad those days are past. So it is kinda funny to me to watch these kids. They are SO transparent. They think they are being "slick" but they are so predictable. This is their time, they are making their memories. They are so full of life, full of their hopes, dreams and future. I am glad that the military is helping guide them, to lead them. They are pretty incredible.

My instructor is SFC McDonald. I think I have described him before. He is tall, VERY fair with red hair (what there is to see of it since he keeps it extremely short). He is very squared away and loves to teach. He is good at it too. I really like him because he has a great way of controlling the class. He never lets it get away from him.

I am enjoying the content of the instruction too. The classes on managing time, managing prospects etc, are very encouraging! I was doing a lot of those things for my husband's practice which indicates to me that I have a natural bent for this! I feel strongly that I will be a successful recruiter.

3 Comments:

Blogger proud fan said...

Sounds like you are doing great! I think that calling the cadences would be a lot of fun!

Sunday, June 04, 2006 2:05:00 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

You are awesome...do you know that? Keep up the great work...

Monday, June 05, 2006 3:40:00 PM  
Blogger SGT Lori said...

you guys are GREAT! Thanks so much for the encouragement. I REALLY needed it today...

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 7:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home