Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Who Says Sailors Can't March??

Or "You can teach an old (salty) dog new tricks..." First day of class we have a test. Prior to attending the recruiter school each potential recruiter must complete an online "phase 1 course". So verify that you did, indeed, do your own work we are required to take the final exam over again. It was a tough test with no review and a little more than half of the class passed. I can tell you I was SO happy to see that I was part of the class that got a "Go". Whew.

I met a girl from Arizona about my age in one of the other classes. She and I went to supper together and will go get our nails done tomorrow. We have a LOT in common. She is one of three girls whose names all start with an "L". Her name is Lisa and one of her sisters is Lori. Her mom got married at 16 and got busy. I am one of four girls whose names all start with "L" and my sister, Lisa, and I are the oldest. My mom was also a 16 year old bride. Lisa is a lot of fun and I think we will help each other from being so homesick.

Class is intense. The instructors keep it fun but we are there for a reason. The one thing I LOVE about Army schools is the no nonsense attitude. We will have a lot of PT, which means I should be able to lose some wieght!

We also march to and from class. In case I didn't mention it before.... Sailors can't march. In fact I think the Navy takes a lot of pride in this small fact. I learned to march in Boot and that's it. In my 8 year Naval career, I never had to march again. Not the Army! They LOVE to march. We form up and march to cadence. I am trying to stay in the background and not be noticed. God forbid I have to call cadence. It is hard enough just keeping in step.

We have a PT test on Friday and then PT every M-W-F at 0500. Something tells me they take it more seriously here than they did in Alabama when I attended school there. We shall see.

Well, I am SUPER tired and need to go to sleep. I'll write more tomorrow.

4 Comments:

Blogger sparrow said...

She's from ARIZONA?????

Can't be ALL bad. *wink*.

Good to know you got 'there' safely. You're in my prayers.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 10:27:00 PM  
Blogger SGT Lori said...

Hey Shell,Go Arizona girls! LOL. She is a lot of fun.

Dale, for me it is FUNNY! I am trying hard. My NCOIC told me I need to work on my Military bearing...he is right.

Brian, thanks for the well wishes!!

Saturday, June 03, 2006 10:11:00 AM  
Blogger MajorDad said...

I'll jump in and say they can't...

Need an example? Watch the Army-Navy game this December and watch the two different "march-ons." If you can watch the Corps of Cadets vs. the Brigade of Midshipmen and tell me that those boys/girls from Maryland can march, I'll owe you a beer.

I remember talking to my parents after the first Army-Navy game they attended after I'd donned the Army grey...and they were absolutely beaming as to how well "we" all looked and how horrible the Middies were.

Be that as it may, the services they provide when it REALLY counts are priceless. Naval air and naval gunfire are our friends!

See you on the high ground!

MajorDad1984

Monday, June 05, 2006 6:29:00 AM  
Blogger SGT Lori said...

MD, I am trying so hard to MARCH! LOL. I am improving with time and practice.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 9:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home