Monday, June 12, 2006

The Talk....

I had my PT test this morning...I passed. I didn't have any doubt however...it always feels good to have that stamp of approval...finally. My knee is doing better since I gave running a rest over the weekend. This week we will work on sit-ups and push-ups (thank GOD) and hopefully my knee will get a lot better.

My poor husband. I speak to my husband everyday. Some days I call him twice just to say hello and remind him that his crazy wife does love him dearly. He is a secure type of man. He is not the jealous type at all (neither am I) and trusts me implicitly. As he should.

Being apart is taxing on relationships, even good ones like ours. He knows me inside and out. My husband is my best friend and I am his. That isn't some quaint little euphemism we say. It is the truth. My darling *is* my all time best-est friend. I feel comfortable around him, I don't have to put on airs, I can be myself. He is a big bear of a man. Yes, he can be testy at times, but I know how to calm him down. I know he would do anything for me and he knows I would do the same.

Even with that kind of deep down devotion for each other and our relationship...being apart is not easy. He expressed to me concerns he had for me. He is very biased and thinks I am the cutest, sexiest, smartest, most desireable woman in this hemisphere. I let him continue in this delusion, but I know that I am just lucky he is delusional!

So, we had the talk. The reasuring talk that lets your partner know that everything is ok. I am brutally honest at times and like to cut to the chase so I told him that, yes, if this were the late 1980's - early 1990's and I was still in the Navy he would probably have to worry about guys hitting on me constantly. Navy guys, being Navy guys, are conditioned to want to hit on anything that walks. Sorry, but there it is. You stay out to sea for two or three months, hit several ports with hundreds of women just clamoring for your attention and soon you are like Pavlov's dogs, conditioned to think females are for one thing... that was my experience in the Navy. It was predictable and we girls used to talk about it. A guy just out of boot camp was considered "fresh from Mama and still polite..." After one WestPac and they were "horny Sailors".

I reassured my husband that the Guard was different. Very different. Yeah, you have your little hook ups here and there but in general the married people are being faithful. The Guard demands a higher standard for its' NCO's. We are expected to act with professionalism and that is what I have observed. Yes, a few have tried to hit on me...but I quickly squelched any ideas and have been treated with nothing but respect. Add to that I constantly refer to my husband and children, well you get the picture. Most of these NCO's are very professional, the cream of the crop.

I made hotel reservations this evening for this weekend. I arranged for us to stay in a suite with a kitchen, livingroom and bedroom. That way we have some privacy from the kids. (Very big grin). It is a pricier hotel but.... well worth it. We will probably tour Graceland since son is a HUGE Elvis fan. Then we will go to the zoo so darling girl can see the animals. I want to schedule in a trip to Mud Island too but... we really only have Saturday to do touristy stuff.

We have a test scheduled for Wednesday. I should do well on it. Then we start giving presentations to the class and evaluated by the instructors. I attended a shipboard instructor course at Pearl Harbor a long time ago but remember some of the tips they gave us. The only problem I really have is sounding off (speaking up loudly enough). I will have to work on that.

I am having toruble going to sleep at night. I will have to buy some Tylenol PM's. I guess I am just nervous about seeing the kids and my husband on Friday.

1 Comments:

Blogger SGT Lori said...

Brian, How wonderful you have such a great wife and you KNOW IT!!! Glad Alberto didn't cause too much bad weather.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 8:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home