Monday, June 26, 2006

Week FIVE!!!

OH MY GOSH. What a stress filled weekend. Friday we let out relatively early and I was glad that I didn't have a headache. A friend in class invited me to go out with her and several buds to celebrate her birthday. I agreed. I was relieved the week was done and needed an excuse to vent.

I went and got my hair trimmed up. It was getting a little long to still be within regulations. If you wear your hair down (and I do) it cannot fall below the bottom edge of the collar. Mine was getting close. I decided to not get a snack as we were all going out to eat. Then the headache started. sigh.

I got back to my room and ate a half a jelly sandwich hoping to edge out the headache. We all met outside, deciding who was riding with whom. I rode with a fellow from Alabama in his big Ford pick-up. I do not know what he has been hauling around in his vehicle but it smelled like paint remover in there. Headache increases in intensity.

We arrive at the Butcher Shop restaurant. If you are ever in Little Rock, GO TO THE BUTCHER SHOP!! Great steaks, food and atmosphere. I ordered a Merlot and sipped it slowly. We all finally arrived (15 of us) and were seated pretty quickly. We ordered our food, drank and had a great time. It was hilarious as we found out more about each other. How many of you can remember where you were when Elvis died?? I thought I was the only one who remembered that since it was 2 days shy of my 18th birthday. Seems a good many people remember that day.

I had to share my claim to fame... My mother dated Elvis and I spoke to him on the phone. I'll have to tell y'all about that sometime.

Well I laughed hard and really had a great time. It felt good to just relax. The nagging headache wasn't that bad after the second glass of wine. But we had finished and time to leave. I gave the birthday girl a big hug and climbed up into the foul smelling truck. Why I did not crack a window I will never know... but by the time we got back to the base my head was throbbing in time to the beat of the tires on the road..thump thump, thump thump, thump thump. I thanked my ride and went straight to my room. Ugh.

Saturday I woke with the same headache. I doped up and finally got rid of the headache by Sunday afternoon. Note to self...go have a CAT scan when you get back to Georgia.

Today dawned bright, crisp, and cool. At 0530 we started our run. It felt good. I ran the whole way, kept up with everyone and even had FUN running!! GASP! It just felt plain good to get out there and sweat in the cool morning air. When I was required to sprint, I just opened it up and pushed as hard as I could. I surprised myself at how fast I could go when pushed! Now comes the discipline part...will I keep this up when I go back home??

We arrived at school and right off the bat I volunteered for three of the four tests we are required to pass over the next three days. I passed all three!! I only need to pass a presentation and the final exam scheduled for Thursday morning. I felt such a wave of relief with the three big tests out of the way. Hmmmm...maybe I was having stress related headaches.

Anyway, I can see the finish line from here. I am pretty confident. I can almost taste the victory of completing this school and earning my Recruiter Badge. I can imagine hugging my kids. I can feel that little baby girl in my arms, smell the baby smell of her and imagine tears of joy flowing down my face. I've been busy making plans for son and me. Movies we will see, things we will do. And of course, late at night..I dream of my love and what he means to me..... Ahhh such sweetness wrapped up in a big bear of a man.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pogue said...

Excellent! Good news on the running - you've passed a plateau. If you can get yourself into the habit of running two or three times a week it actually stays enjoyable. Really!

Monday, June 26, 2006 8:21:00 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Sure the migraines can be from stress! That's the only time I get mine. Except it's not from the stress exactly. I grind my teeth under great stress and that does something to my jaw muscles that brings on the migraine. Anyway, you don't care about that. Congrats on passing your test and we'll remind you to keep running when you get home and settled into your recruiter job!
You go girl! :) You're awesome...

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 3:23:00 PM  
Blogger SGT Lori said...

Pogue, yeah I *do* need to keep up the running.
Bill..ack! Red wine makes for headaches?? Well I'll just forgo any alcohol.
Kim, I used to grind my teeth. Don't know how I kicked the habit...
Brian, dancing guys?? LOL!

Thursday, June 29, 2006 11:01:00 PM  
Blogger Alucard said...

I dunno...I run a good amount, and I don't know if I find running to be "fun." It's certainly easier than when I first started, but I still wish I could wave a magic wand, and POOF, I'd be in shape. But running is neccesary, so I suck it up, and get it done. Getting into a routine with running does make it easier, and not just because you get better.

Saturday, July 08, 2006 2:09:00 PM  
Blogger SGT Lori said...

Pelican4, I believe you know!

Thursday, July 13, 2006 5:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home