Thursday, July 13, 2006

Big Brother

Well. Hmmmm. OK, we arrive in the classroom for our continuing lecture series of Phase Two RRNCO. Our laptops were taken up and we were asked to write down our login info. Then we got intruction on a pilot program to monitor our telephone and interveiw skills.

In walk the top 8 Recruiters for the State as far as getting their applicants through MEPS. Seems that the State average is 10 people on the floor at MEPS but only 3 get through (or 33%). These guys (and gals) have a 90% or better success rate. I felt like someone had been reading my mind.

These recruiters will mentor two new recruiters each. We will talk to them twice a week for two months. We will be evaluated to see if our MEPS rate can imporve to at least 66%. If it does, this program will implemented State wide. Sounds good to me.

We talked and role played all day and will do so again tomorrow. In a nut shell? Disqualify to qualify. Try and find any problems with your applicant PRIOR to showing up at MEPS. Sounds like a plan to me.

On the downside? We upload these recordings to a secure website that can be accessed by ourselves, our mentors AND the chain of command. Hmmm, do I hear George Orwell snickering?

I did learn some skills that I can use. I'll track my progress here so y'all can see how I am doing. Of course I can't use names or specifics, however I can use numbers.

I have a system that I call my hopper. Some people call it a funnel, but for me a funnel implies liquid being poured out rapidly and a hopper can be used to plant seeds in the ground. I think of me filling my hopper with names of people and when I enlist one, I have planted him or her in the Guard. A tender root, a young plant. OK, got it?

So I have quite a few leads. Leads are simply names and numbers of people. Nothing more or less. I have 912 cold leads. Then there are prospects. These are people who have expressed an interest. Lastly are applicants. These are people who are in the process of enlisting. I have 5 prospects and one applicant in my hopper. I need to have at least 10. I have appointments scheduled with 3 of the prospects for next week. Hopefully they will turn into applicants.

That's about it. Tomorrow I will post about the time I spoke with Elvis on the phone. ;-)

3 Comments:

Blogger SGT Lori said...

We use ARISS. :-) I just don't have the ability to replicate yet.

We got the "Meps is your friend" speech Monday from MEPS. Today we got the "MEPS is NOT your friend" speech from the recruiters!

The majority of people are disqualified for moral first, medical second. They lie to their recruiter then suddenly they "get religion" and spill their guts in MEPS.

Thursday, July 13, 2006 8:04:00 PM  
Blogger SFC B said...

The computer is your friend when it comes to stopping moral problems. I love AZ since most of the courts in the state have their records accessible for free online. It's a life saver. It's not perfect, some law violations won't appear, and not every court is available. But when we have a kid taking the EST we'll be on the computer getting his record. Amazing how many times people "forget" things. I'd think being busted for drug running would be a "signifigant emotional event" which one would remember.

Friday, July 14, 2006 8:29:00 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

When Ms.Blue was home for RAP her recruiter handed Ms.Blue her file of cold leads and she had to call a bunch of them every night.

Can't wait to hear your Elvis story...

Thursday, July 20, 2006 2:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home