Sunday, June 10, 2007

"It's easier for girls"

I recently recieved a comment on "Oh my foot". Seems a male recruiter thinks that because I am a female, recruiting is easier for me. First I want to say I think he is wrong about the girl thing. I am old enough to be these guy's MOM. I went through basic many many years ago and I went through NAVY boot camp. I can't say "Hey I did it so can you." I can say "Basic *is* hard! If it was easy everyone would do it. You'll cuss me the first two weeks. Then it will actually get fun. You will do things you never thought you could. You graduate with a sense of pride and accomplishment nothing else can give you."

Second; NO ONE is going to enlist because they are challenged to or dared to as in "Hey, I did it! why can't you?" No one is going to join because they feel punked out. Period. Did you enlist on a dare? OK, now I will say a good looking female is going to draw more guys to the lunchroom table. Yeah, she can be used as bait. But that doesn't mean the fish are going to bite. I am not a "good looking young thang" so I ain't bait.

Third: Females make up roughly 20% of my Recruiting Command. Roughly 20% the top 10% of recruiting is females, 80% males. We are just as good or bad as our male recruiters.

Fourth: The very reason I think the Army is not doing as well in recruiting as it could is the example you gave me. Assigning a soldier who has no business recruiting to a recruiting command! You don't like it and are not good at it. The Army thinks "Just Do it". Well that's like telling a Supply Clerk "Here's your weapon, here's some school; go be a Ranger!" Not everyone can be a Ranger!!

Lastly, I know you weren't knocking me...but you *were* knocking females and I R one! I work HARD. Leave? I haven't taken leave either. I got home last night at 2300. I am leaving to go to work at 0630. I work HARD. I have made my mission, and two other people's mission AND am going up for an award. You think I did that sitting on my assets?? Think again.

4 Comments:

Blogger SSG N said...

I could not have said it better myself. I get the same thing here. "As a female, you should be pulling down the contracts" WHATEVER!

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 8:34:00 AM  
Blogger SFC Guard Recruda said...

You got it right on some people should not be recruiting. I dont see it as much in the Guard, but Active army..oh my god... some of those shouldnt even be soldiers!!

Just my 2 cents.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 8:43:00 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

GAH. What an idiotic thing for someone to say. Sounds like some guy is a little bitter! If there's any difference at all in how male vs. female recruiters do, I would guess it'd be HARDER for women. Sorta like women have a (much!) harder time selling cars (not that I've done recruiting or car sales myself). I'm not surprised someone would say that, though--I got the same nonsense from the "special" guys when I was on active duty, because I was promoted quickly. Of course, in the Air Force, promotions aren't subjective at all--it's mostly based on promotion tests, then TIG/TIS points, decorations (I didn't have any more than anyone else in peacetime) and evaluation report scores (which were overinflated for everyone anyway, so mine weren't an advantage over most others). So I guess women are just smarter, then? LOL.

Anyway, I wanted to ask you an off-topic question related to recruiting, but couldn't find an email address (I guess I can see why you wouldn't publish it though).

I'm going to copy what was sent to me here, and if you want to answer in email, hit me at beth at my domain (bamapachyderm.com):

I wonder if you have any suggestions about what I believe might be a phishing website that purports to be an army recruiting site. Here is the information I have:
The site: officialarmy.com

Registrar: GoDaddy

Whois masked by an anonymous registrationcompany, Domains by Proxy

Created on April 13, 2007

This just doesn't smell right to me. I did a google search and found that they are dropping links to the site on many question sites (Yahoo,
Ask, etc) and other forums. I became aware of them when they tried to join the blogiversary
database.

Any suggestions are welcome. I would hate to think that someone is defrauding young people who are interested in joining the military.


See this post for the original, which was forwarded to me.

Looks as fake as a Nigerian business deal to me, though. ;-)

Yes? No?

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 8:14:00 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

OMG, I just read the guy's comment on "Oh my foot." BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I'll be nice. I can see why he would be bitter, though. If my recruiter were as dense as that guy seems from his writing ability, I wouldn't have enlisted either!

:snort:

(OK, I wasn't nice. You certainly were, though!)

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 8:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home