Friday, April 13, 2007

8 days

Whew. OK, the last 8 days have been a whirlwind. Let me back up to when I got back from WLC.

I loved WLC, so much so I really comtemplated applying for DS Drill Sergeant or Drill Instructor) school and voltuneering to be a DI at Fort Jackson. I had it on good authority they were looking for DS's. I was *really* contemplating it so much I asked my husband about it. He promptly said "Not a good idea". WHY??!! "Um, you think you don't have a life *now*???" Well, yeah there's that.... but but but I sputtered.

So I spent about a week and a half lamenting my lot in life. Then I suddenly realized with a start that there was only one more week in March and I had not put anyone in boots! YIKES!! Nightmares ensue. I act all weird to prospects scaring them off. I roll the big zero, a doughnut, NO ENLISTMENTS for the month of March.

MSG Ranger assures me that all is not lost and that I can redeem myself and my good name. All this with no shouting, no yelling, no pressure. Well maybe a little pressure. Like daily phones calls "Well Ranger Fields?? whatcha got?" LOL. No pressure there. ;-)

So I line up 7 applicants. They all slowly either fade away or disqualify themselves. Don't ask.

Meanwhile two of my "teammates" are busy trying to poach my county. OK, so TECHNICALLY a recruiter can only "poach" from a high school. But I work my county. If you want my county, fine. I'll trade. Oh you don't *want* to trade? Then stay the hell out of my county. Comprende? I come by the Colombian cartell attitude honestly.

Finally I sit down and say to myself, "Ok, lets pull your head out of your arse and figure this out." I talk to everyone. I ask my family to pray. I go to all my schools and talk to anyone who will look at me. I give out goodies to everyone (I call it recruiting candy. No one can refuse it) I call counselors, I call colleges, I call trade schools. I call over 120 leads in my box. I call old leads, old prospects, old applicants.

That was 10 days ago.

Today I got a call from my CSM. I put in 6 recruits in 8 days.

more to come

2 Comments:

Blogger SFC Guard Recruda said...

Awsome job SGT Lori. Now one suggestion.

Breathe!!

Friday, April 13, 2007 5:06:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

*grins* I agree with the above suggestion.

I sent you my email earlier today... So I guess just let me know a good time to talk to you!

Friday, April 13, 2007 7:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home