Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Mama Lori

My boy, Billy, got through MEPS. YEAH!!! It took several years off my life, but it happened. Well sort of.

We arrive at MEPS after I give him the loooong speech about how messed up MEPS is, how they are like AL Queda and try and stop people from enlisting. First thing we find out is...Billy boy is not in the system. So I walk over to the liason's office and get a song and dance about how their computers have been down all day and how I should have had my NCOIC call and verify that Billy was in the computer. The SFC Nimrod says he can do a walk-in. I repeatedly say that Billy is going in under the GED + program and requires a AIMS test in addition to the ASVAB. Repeatedly. No problem. I walk the paperwork up to the reception area and again state that Billy boy needs the AIMS test after he takes the ASVAB. No problem.

2 hours later, well on my way to North Georgia I get a frantic call from Billy. He is at the hotel and they have no reservation for him and they are booked. Did he take the AIMS test?? no. sigh. I call around and get a call from the hotel. I need to come get my recruit or he is going to have to sleep on a couch in the lobby. sigh. Half an hour later and another call from the hotel, they had a cancelation so Billy now has a room. Counting new white hairs in my head now.

I call Billy, my NCOIC and 2IC and figure out that we can get Billy to stay a second night to take the AIMS test and swear in on Thursday instead of Wednesday. I get up at o-dark-thirty to drive to Billy's house, pick up a change of clothes since he is staying second night, and drive through horrendous traffic to arrive at MEPS.

SFC Nimrod NOW says "SGT, all you had to do was tell me he needed an AIMS test...."Excuse me??? I hold my temper. Billy passed the ASVAB, sailed through his physical, took the AIMS test tonight and is sound asleep at the hotel. Tomorrow morning around 11am he will swear into the Georgia Army National Guard. Hooah! I told him I wouldn't be there to watch him swear in, but another SGT would be. He was disappointed (so was I) but I told him next week I would take him around to the armory, introduce him to the unit and the RSP NCO. I also told the SGT that is picking him up I want a PICTURE of his swearing in ceremony.

Heavy sigh. My NCOIC says it is good to be passionate about my recruits but I need to make sure I don't burn myself out.

3 Comments:

Blogger SFC B said...

Military Entrance Prevention Station. Say it again and again. MEPS is the ally of the recruiter in the same way that France is an ally of the US.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 1:14:00 PM  
Blogger SGT Lori said...

LOL!!

Sunday, August 27, 2006 4:19:00 PM  
Blogger Shayna said...

It's good to know that you take this so seriously... caring like you do...

Sunday, August 27, 2006 7:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home