Thursday, August 03, 2006

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK. week one of august is almost over. I could just scream. I have had interveiw after interveiw after interveiw. Literally. Today I had four back to back. By the end of the evening I felt like I was a participant in a wacky game show. I was on the team trying to score a point and the applicants were on a team trying to fake me, trick me, manipulate me and score a point if they could slide one by me.

First I need to explain that there is a method to disqualifying prospects. It is called APPLE-MD. It is an acronym for AGE, PRIOR SERVICE, PHYSICAL CONDITIONS, LAW VIOLATIONS, EDUCATION, MARITAL STATUS and DEPENDANTS.

Contestant #1 please step forward:
Clean cut, good looking kid. High school graduate. Been to two years of college, quit when he ran out of money. Wants to serve his country and go to school at the same time. No law violations, no drug use. No dibilitating diseases etc. I was getting excited. This might be my first Non-Prior Service Assension! This might be my first applicant I send to MEPS! I went through the extensive list of things that might disqualify him. No, no, no were his answers! Yes, He might make it through the gaunlet! Then I said "Oh, have you ever been to the emergency room?" His response: Yes... Me: OK, lets talk about that. When did you go to the emergency room? His response: When I had my brain surgery. Next applicant please.

Contestant #2:
Nice looking, short hair, clean, eyes look bright and intelligent, good teeth (GEEZ I sound like a dog show judge!). VERY nice and polite. We sit down to talk. No drug use recently. Has a sprained knee right now. No law violations. I keep probing and picking. I want to make sure he is good on Physical and Law before I get to Education. Lookin good lookin good, almost to the end of the line... dropped out of school in the 9th grade. Can't touch him until he has his GED.

Contestant #3:
OK, young looking guy, 17 years old and a junior in high school. No physical problems, no law violations. Would love to join. His dad is a Viet Nam Vet and doesn't want his children joining the military. Wants me to talk to dad. Never married, no children. WOW. This guy looks golden. OK, great...what High school do you attend?? A High School in a neighboring county. ARRRGGG Boo Hoo.... I can't touch him, it is call poaching. So I call the recruiter and let him know he has a great lead.

Final contestant:
18 years old. Looks ok, a little out of shape. Wants to join to get his GED and serve his country. Law violation, and oh by the way I broke my arm 2 years ago and I have two plates and 11 screws in my arm. sigh. Better and Better.

The good news?? I have 4 prior service people enlisting next week.

3 Comments:

Blogger John said...

SGT Lori,

Thanks for this blog! I stumbled upon it while investigating WTC. I am PS USAFR looking into joining the KYARNG (15P). Got a great recruiter and getting closer to a decision.

I'll continue reading!

John

irishwings00@yahoo.com

Friday, August 04, 2006 10:18:00 AM  
Blogger SFC B said...

Take the kid to get his GED. You can probably find a school that offers it for about $50 and you'll have the results in a week.

Of course that all depends on how badly you want a GED.

Friday, August 04, 2006 11:09:00 AM  
Blogger SC said...

Don't worry, after a while the disqualification shock will wear off.

Saturday, August 05, 2006 10:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home