Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Is that a Light at the End of the Tunnel...

or a train headlight!!?? Just kidding.

The prospect with the plates and screws called me. His MD told him those need to come out and he would heal in about 6 wweeks. WHOO HOO!! He would still need a medical evaluation and a waiver, but it would be MUCH easier.

After much urging from my husband I called Dial-a Medic and asked about the boy who had the brain surgery. He had an achrinoidal cyst. The MD at MEPS said to send in his surgical reports and post-op reports. He said all that meant was he had a leakage and they went in to remove the cyst, not as dramatic as "I had brain surgery". The MD said it might have been a very simple operation. WHOO HOO!!

I had to call an applicant and tell him that I wouldn't put him in. He had been working with a former recruiter. He had numerous law violations. Could I get the waivers? Probably. But I won't. Let me explain.

I have a girl who ran away from home quit school and was a general teenaged idiot. One day she woke up smelled the coffee and said "I don't want to live like this the rest of my life." So she got her GED, completed her first year of college and ran out of money. She has always wanted to join the Army. Her dad was in the Army. However she was never eligible because she has 4 children. By the time she was 18 and could have joined she had 2 and was single.

I am working with her. Why? Because she shows promise. She isn't wanting to *use* the Military as the sole source to turn her life around. She is taking the steps already, the Army National Guard can help her and I REALLY believe she will be a good soldier.

My felony boy? He committed forgery. Several times. He has a charge for evading and eluding. He has a DUI. He broke probation 3 or 4 times. All over a period of several years. These are the things he is telling me. NOW, he wants to straighten up. He hasn't proved himself...as in getting his GED, staying clean and criminal free for years. If I put him in, he will be in the papers as the soldier that did thus and so. No thanks.

I was a pothead when I joined the Navy. I knew I wanted my life to change. It worked because I wanted it to. But it also took me far away from my home and my creepy friends. These people would be coming right back to their stomping grounds. For 28 days a month they would have no military influence. For 2 days a month they would be at drill. That's NOT enough to "turn your life around".

I spoke with the 1st SGT of a local unit. He said "I like the prior service enlistees. They have more discipline and know their job. It is rare we get a new raw recruit that turns out well." Indeed. For someone who wants to do a 180, they need years of military life. I need to go meet the Army recruiter here in town.

2 Comments:

Blogger SSG Guardsman said...

Go meet the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marine recruiters in your area. Develop a working relationship with them to help eachother out - after all we're all in this together right? Give them leads and they'll give you GEDs...... works out great for me.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 11:33:00 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I love your stories too.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 3:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home