Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Handshake

I got a call that a fellow was interested in enlisting. He lived quite a distance away from the armory so we agreed to meet at the library of a city halfway between the two distances.

I got to the library and he and his dad were sitting in the foyer. We sat a talked for a while. I did my little recruiting diagram I do when talking to a prospect. It is a simple line diagram but it outlines how the National Guard is different than the reserves and active duty. It gives people a visual which really helps. I write all my notes on there as I go through my little sales pitch. Then I hand them the paper so later they have something to refer back to.

Anyway, this kid was already sold so we moved quickly to signing papers, answering questions and setting up a MEPS day. I was trying to keep our conversation down since we were in the library foyer!! A young man approached us and I thought "oh no, we are too loud and he is going to ask us to leave, how embarassing!". I stood up as he reached us and he asked "Is this young man getting ready to enlist?" I answered that he was. He turned to my applicant and shot out his hand for a handshake. "I just want to say what an honorable thing it is that you are doing. Thank you!" he said to my much surprised applicant. I grinned from ear to ear and said "Thank YOU!". He went back to work in the library (note to self ask him what he is doing for the next 20 years) and I went back to work. I told my young applicant to get used to that sort of thing.

My applicant scored a 70 on the ASVAB tonight, and will physical tomorrow. Hooah!

1 Comments:

Blogger SFC Guard Recruda said...

You need to have him follow you arond and do that for ya, may seal the deal whenever you have someone on the fence.

We do that in our office, it pumps up the applicant and can usually nudge to the joining side once they see they will be appreciated.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 9:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home