Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Day 2: Feeling Like PVT Benjamin

Sunday in this woman's Army means no day off! Class starts promptly at o900. Class moves briskly, with "Hooah!" shouted out in unision to each of the instructors commands and instruction. Break for lunch at 1200, run to the Mess Hall, eat, run back to class. More instruction to follow. Mandatory parking of vehicles on the other side of the Post, effective immediately. We finish up class at 18oo. I eat chow and drive to Walmart IN uniform. I was too tired to change into civvies first.

I buy a set of T-shirt Jersey material sheets. I bought a few other items and headed back to the Post. I approach the Gate while talking on my cell phone to my sister and hand the Guard my ID. The Gate Guard points to my phone and says "Sergeant Fields, you are not allowed to drive while speaking on the cell phone on this Post, please do not approach the Gate while talking on your cell phone!" Crap. "Oh, yes, Sergeant!" I replie sheepishly.

I drive to the other side of the Post to our assigned parking area. It is pitch black and cold. I have no "snivel gear" or cold weather gear, after all this is Spring in 'Bama! I hike it back two miles to the barracks. Several people pass me by but no one stops to offer a ride and hitch-hiking is prohibited. I am now HOT, tired and not feeling very motivated. I change my sheets and remember that I FAILED to purchase a blanket. Sigh. I set my cell phone alarm for 0415. I am bone tired but am unable to fall asleep.

I toss and turn and miss my husband and children terribly. The class is filled with young people and I am not making many "friends". There is NO toilet paper in the bathroom and only 4 shower stalls for 40 women. The excitement has faded and is replaced with a feeling that I am too old for this. (it gets better but this *is* how I felt at this time! :-)

2 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

I am here cheering you on from Mississippi. You are doing a wonderful thing and YOU CAN DO IT!

Thursday, March 09, 2006 11:19:00 AM  
Blogger Randall said...

yes you can..:)
Nice blog,My nephew is with the 511 from Mississippi.He just got back from Iraq and is now (wanting) to go to Afganistan..

Thursday, March 09, 2006 11:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home