Sunday, February 19, 2006

I am Such a Sap Head


Confessions of a Military Recruiter has a post about some great patriotic music. The cd he recommends features several songs one of which is about the soldier leaving for boot. Recruiter says:
Hero is a tale of a young man who goes off to serve his country even though his mother does not want him to go. This is by far my favorite song on the entire CD. The courus "Mamma begged him not to go. Mamma lost her little boy, but a country gained a hero" rings so true for every Soldier, Sailor, Marine and Airmen. I emailed that track to my mom and she called me crying "I'm so proud of my boys!" Every time I listen to that song I still remember the day I shipped out, like it was yesterday.
Then he goes on to tell his story. Lord I had tears flowing freely down my face. Yes, it is hard leaving home and going to boot and an unknown future. Well worth it but difficult. Go read his story, you'll be glad you did.

2 Comments:

Blogger Day by Day said...

My best friend shipped out a few days ago... this ring so true. I am nervous and so proud of him. Selfish reasons wanted him never to join the military... but he did it because he loves his country and believes in the fight.

Good post... not that sappy... :)

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 5:59:00 AM  
Blogger Barb said...

Good post - thanks! I love Keni's album, and "Recruiter"s story, and your post, will be in my mind as I listen today!!

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 9:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home