Monday, September 25, 2006

I'm Baaaacccckkkk!

LOL, I need to just realize that I can't give up blogging. First I figured out that I need to keep DSL. I can't connect to a secure line using satellite internet so I have to keep DSL if I EVER want to use my ARNG computer at home. Like the time I was up to 0300 putting in applicant packets and "replicating" and "projecting". I would NOT liked to have been at the office until 0300! Hooah! So DSL at home is here to stay and that means I WILL be blogging from time to time.

This job just keeps getting better and better. I have met several people over the last few days that really want to serve their country. Two have medical issues and I am fighting to get them in if I can. Two are prior service and got out (like me) when they were much younger. Now they fully appreciate their time in the service and want to continue onto retirement. It will take some time to get one of them in...but I am going to give it my best shot. The other will not take much work and he is very excited. I am too.

I have been doing some work with a local high school. Lots of the ROTC kids are interested. They are a great crew of kids. It is refreshing to meet kids that are squared away and know what they want out of life.

My boss is very happy. We have the best team in the State. Our recruits are happy, making their ship dates (going to basic on time etc) and returning to make good soldiers in their units. It is not like Active Duty recruiting.

First, I had to apply and get selected for this job. I had to appear before a board, give a presentation selling myself and be selected for my position. I worked for 8 months trying to get on a board. I REALLY wanted to recruit.

Second and more importantly, I know what my mission is for the year. I knew in July that I had a mission of 26 for the year. Approximately 2 a month. So when I recruit 4 a month I am way ahead and I know it. My numbers are added up for the year. The pressure is off and I recruit people because I want to, not because I have to. The Active Duty recruiters never know what their next month's mission is. They might get a mission of 1 this month and a mission of 5 next month. Their numbers don't add up for their annual mission so they are ALWAYS under the gun. I feel for them.

Finally, we don't enlist someone and never see them again. They come back. If I lie or try and pull the wool over someone's eyes, they are going to come back. Back to their school, back to their community and back to their friends. If they come back talking about what a liar I am; my career is over. We are ALWAYS counselled to be very honest with out applicants. When I was an applicant I double checked everything my National Guard recruiter told me. I made sure he was telling me the truth. He explained to me the logic about being a local recruiter and it rang true. Now I am living it. I have to look my new recruits in the eye when they come back from basic and AIT. I really really want the reputation of being honest.

I get to ride in a Black Hawk Helicopter tomorrow!! Whoo Hoo! I am being rewarded for being top dog on my team. I have NEVER ridden in a helicopter. If I live to tell about it I will blog tomorrow! :-)

3 Comments:

Blogger SC said...

I'm glad someone's feeling for us.

You should try hanging underneath a helicopter on a 120' sling leg at 1,500 feet and 90 knots. Now that's fun.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 9:27:00 AM  
Blogger SGT Lori said...

LOL. I *do* feel for you. I cannot imagine the pressure.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 4:47:00 PM  
Blogger ChargeOfQuarters said...

Congrats on being top dog...

Blackhawks are awesme... i hav over 720 hours in them (mostly the EH model, but have substantial time in the UH model as well... AIRCAV!!!)

Keep it up, and welcome back!!!

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 2:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home