Saturday, April 22, 2006

It's Lookin Good

I was told that I completely blew away the Board. I am not supposed to know ANYTHING, but I was told things are looking really good.

I was stunned, but then aagin...not really. See, I don't believe in luck. What other people consider "luck" I call opportunity. Opportunities come to us all. IF you are prepared and ready when opportunity comes knocking, to coin an old cliche, then it appears to be "luck".

I was ready. I was more than ready. I have been submitting packets for 8 months. Some months saw me deliver several packets to Human Resources. So when this postion opened up...was that luck? No. It was inevitable, it was opportunity.

My father came here from South America when he was a mere lad of 14. He graduated high school and worked hard. He held down three jobs at one point. He was a stock clerk at the A&P on weekends, a janitor by night and mail clerk by day with National Cash Register Company (NCR). NCR at that time was neck and neck with IBM in the computer industry. Computers were so new they were not even taught in college.

Back to my dad. He knew that if he was ever to get anywhere, people would have to get used to his name. Trujillo is a common name in Latin countries but not in the USA in that day and time. So while being a mail clerk during the day, he would call the receptionist and say "Could please page Al Trujillo to accounting?" The next day it would be "Al Trujillo to human resources, please, Al Trujillo to human resources." He kept this up a few times a week. When an opening came up for programming school, he submitted his application. He said he could imagine the head honchos sitting there reviewing his application saying "Al Trujillo...Al Trujillo...I've heard of him..." LOL!

My father got the school. He did well, he worked for NCR for years. Eventually he landed a job as Vice President of Colonial Life Insurance. All without a college degree. Now he is retired doing freelance programming on the side.

He taught all his girls that nothing in life is free. Success requires hard work. He taught us that America is the Land of Opportunity and "If you can't make it here, you can't make it anywhere". Indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home