Friday, March 17, 2006

Day 13: just a wake up

Well my orders have not come through so I probably will not be attending Phase 2 at this time. Boo Hoo.

I went home last night. I am oh so tired but I have a rosy glow and a huge grin. Can we just say "Abscence makes the heart grow fonder."?? The children were in bed by 9:00pm and we followed soon after. An HOUR later...I was sleeping soundly, curled up in my husband's arms.

We had our last block of instruction and our last test. It was a toughy. We were released for lunch for 2 hours. I ate with a large group from our class at the chow hall. We are all anxious to move onto phase 2 or home. The Three Musketeers took a two mile walk after lunch. We usually only walk a mile, but since we have extra time... I was able to call my 1SG (First Sergeant) and see if he could push things forward on getting phase 2. He gave me the number of the CSM (Command Sergeant Major) in charge of training in Georgia. He said to have the senior enlisted here call him. It was now 13:30 Central time. The race was on to see if we could get this done.

We got back to class and recieved our grades. I made a 100. Yeah! Everyone had passed the test and so had passed the course. Good news all around. The instructors named the top 20% students and the top grade for the course. Now, I knew I was close to the top of the class. Several names are called but not mine.... last name to be called is the number one student... Sgt Fields! Me! Wow.

This was a 14 day course and may seem like small potatoes, but quite a bit of information is put out. The single most important factor to me?? This course will be worth points towards promotion, and so will being Distinguished Honor Grad.

We are all more relaxed and breathing easier. It is over. Everyone is clamoring for details about our party. We hand our instructors a card with a coupon that entitles the bearer to a free supper at Outback Steak House that night at 7:00. :-) I had checked with the MSG (Master Sergeant) and she said that if every block of instruction was over and every test taken and graded it was not fraternization to have supper with our instructors. ;-)

It is now 14:00. We are released to clean the classrooms and latrines. I slip in to see of MSG has been able to contact the CSM in Atlanta. She tells me that she has called and left two messages. Sigh. We finish our cleaning and it is 1500. That means it is 1600 in Atlanta on a Friday afternoon. Figure the odds of getting hold of anyone. I try the main number hoping to get an operator but I guess he/she has left for the weekend as well. Oh well.

We all leave for our barracks with plenty of time to pack and get ready to party!

1 Comments:

Blogger Day by Day said...

party on... :) Glad to hear you were curled up in the arms of your husband... I'm sure not only he but your kids have been missing you! ;)

Sunday, March 19, 2006 2:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home