Friday, December 07, 2007

More on Deploying

Energy is high as everyone considers the upcoming deployment. Lots of kids at the schools wanting to know if they have time to join, train and then go. For Seniors...yes. For Juniors, no. Very reassuring.

On a bad note... I ran out of gas today. I was in my POV and had the kids with me. I was rushing o an appointment and thought..."I am not THAT low on gas." Well, I was. So I glided the car over to the side of the road. Told the kids to stay put and walked the half mile to the gas station. In Uniform. NOT A SINGLE CAR SLOWED OR STOPPED!! Not a single one. Now mind this is in a rural area so a woman walking from a car with emergency blinkers on down the road to the gas station is OBVIOUSLY not on a nature hike. I bought a gas can and paid for gas at the station. CLEARLY needing gas. Even the lady at the counter put two and two together and said "Ohhhh, did you run out of gas, hun?" Ayuh. NO ONE offered to drive me. NO ONE even said "You need help??" The store was full of men with trucks and cars parked outside. THREE even pulled out of the parking lot and passed me as I WALKED down the road!!! By the time I got to my car I was steaming.

On a good note. While I was walking, one of my recruits called my phone. I had left it in the car with the kids. My son answered it and told him what had happened. This kid says "Where are y'all? Does she need help?" I called him back and said "Can you believe that I walked a half a mile and back and NO ONE stopped to help??" He said "In uniform?? What kinda sh*t is that?? excuse me SSG Fields." I agreed.

I have thought more about deploying. If I do.... I need to reclass. I have considered going 88M. I love to drive. My hearing would not be any sort of impairment. Good idea?

5 Comments:

Blogger Mauser*Girl said...

I'm really, really surprised that nobody stopped when you were out of gas. I do expect that sort of thing up here in my area - these people stop for NOBODY! - but not down south. Especially if you're in uniform.

Maybe you're radiating "I have this under control" waves? :)

Saturday, December 08, 2007 5:20:00 AM  
Blogger SFC Guard Recruda said...

One word of advice, do not Volunteer, if they tell you to go, thats different. We do need good Guard recruiters to fill boots, and you seem to be doing that quite well. Your mission is to fill boots, where you are better utilized than driving a truck. Do your job so that the Guard can accomplish its mission for years to come.

Keep up the good work.

Saturday, December 08, 2007 5:52:00 PM  
Blogger Pogue said...

From your last post MSG Ranger sounds a bit presumptuous to me. Some other words come to mind as well, but that's probably unfair... You are the only one who can decide what you should do. Recruiting is a tough, necessary job, and if you're good at it more power to you. If you want to drive in convoys, well that's an important job as well. With no disrespect intended to sfc recruda, "your mission is to fill boots" sounds a little like "your job is in the home." If you want to pick up another MOS, go for it. If not, that's cool, too. My personal goal is to not regret my decisions, and so far I've managed to meet that goal. You'll know what the right move is for you.

Saturday, December 08, 2007 7:37:00 PM  
Blogger Politics of a Patriot said...

If you go 88M... you'll come to my neck of the woods :) Let me know!

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 10:33:00 PM  
Blogger KAT said...

SGT Lori:
I thought military personnel were warned against hitching a ride. My uncle was a cop when an Airman apparently hitched a ride and he was killed. If I am not mistaken he was a skeleton by the time he was discovered.

Now stopping to bring gas and other assistance is another ball game.

Monday, April 07, 2008 11:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home