Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Permission?

I was approached by email to participate in a survey for some research on Milbloggers. I am told that according to an update to its OPSEC (Operations Security) rules on April 19, 2007, the U.S. Army now requires all of its working personnel to obtain approval before posting any material to their personal military blogs (milblogs). Hmmmm.

So in other words...I should ask for permission to post? Am I supposed to submit each post for approval? Hmmmm.

To whom?

While I can certainly understand the need for operational security...and I adhere to it. I don't think my personal ruminations posted to the internet need to be submitted for editing. Do you?

2 Comments:

Blogger Mauser*Girl said...

If you Google "blogging OPSEC" you'll come up with a bunch of links and articles on the OPSEC restrictions in regards to personal blogs.

As the regulation is written, it's up to the commanders to make sure all their soldiers know about these restrictions and stick to them.

What it comes down to, I think, is what you're saying and how much your unit cares. If you're in a unit deployed to Iraq they may care a whole lot more than if you're a Guard Recruiter stateside. A friend of mine was told to shut his blog down when he was in Iraq. (Though that may have had something to do with some photos he posted on there, rather than his actual blogging.)

Some units put out that not just service members have to submit their blogs for review, but their family members do as well. Aren't you just holding your breath for that to happen? I can't see every Jane Teenager submitting her blog for review by daddy's chain of command, nor can I see wives and sons do it, either.

As far as the survey... well. The people sending out the survey aren't affiliated with Milblogging.com. As I never consented to be contacted with bulk emails through Milblogging, I told them to buzz off and never send me spam again.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 11:30:00 PM  
Blogger SGT Lori said...

Yeah, trying to control family blogging...ain't gonna happen.

If I was deployed, I would still blog. I would be very careful though. Maybe blog but post it six months after the fact. Who knows.

Friday, November 09, 2007 9:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home