Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Unbelieveable.

This is an incredible story. However once I began to read the amazing story of a journalist turned MARINE it began to make sense. He covers China as a journalist for 7 years. He lives and breathes what it is like to live in a country where the people have no rights. He comes back to the States to freedom but he also discovers apathy. He says:
"I would come home, and you didn't feel coming home to the United States from abroad that we were a country at war," he said. "I was surprised by that … and that disturbed me. It gave me a sense that we were being a little bit too complacent."
Indeed. The story goes on to chronicle his journey to qualify for a commission in the Marine Corps. He states his reason for feeling compelled to join up. In fact he verbalizes precisely my feelings:
"I wanted to actually be participating in an incredibly important period in our history," he said, "as opposed to just observing and reporting events. … I didn't want to watch the movie and not have a part in it."
However this really caps it off :
An officer at the ceremony congratulated Pottinger by quipping, "It's an honor, you know, to get somebody from the dark side to come over to our side."
HOOAH! or should I say OORAH! Hat tip to "Confessions of a Military Recruiter" for the story. And just in case YOU might might decide to follow his lead... you can go here to find out about joining the MARINES!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home