Friday, December 30, 2005

Teen wants to volunteer to go to Iraq

I read this story today on MSNBC. A Florida Teen of Iraqi descent (Farris Hassan) flies to the Middle East unbeknowst to his parents. He had decided to use his Christmas break from school to practice "Immersion Journalism". He travels Kuwait, Jordan and Iraq. He is finally taken by the 101st Airborne to the U.S. Embassy where he is happily returned home safe and sound. Here is a condensed version of his observations:

His father, Redha Hassan, a doctor, said his son is an idealist, principled and moral. Aside from the research he wanted to accomplish, he also wrote in an essay saying he wanted to volunteer in Iraq.

He said he wrote half the essay while in the United States, half in Kuwait, and e-mailed it to his teachers Dec. 15 while in the Kuwait City airport.

"There is a struggle in Iraq between good and evil, between those striving for freedom and liberty and those striving for death and destruction," he wrote.

"Those terrorists are not human but pure evil. For their goals to be thwarted, decent individuals must answer justice's call for help. Unfortunately altruism is always in short supply. Not enough are willing to set aside the material ambitions of this transient world, put morality first, and risk their lives for the cause of humanity. So I will."

Very true, Farris, the Terroists are nothing but pure evil. The article makes scant mention of the Army's work there but the gist is if the American and Allied forces were NOT there, Iraq would be a very bad place. Hooah, Farris, for going out on a limb to find out the TRUTH. Perhaps he may want to volunteer with the Army?

Farris' essay is printed here. This is a quote from his essay:
If I know what is needed and what is right, but do not act on my moral conscience, I would be a hypocrite. I must do what I say decent individuals should do. I want to live my days so that my nights are not full of regrets. Therefore, I must go.
Couldn't say it better myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home