Friday, December 15, 2006

I Hit Gold.

I get a call late last night from a guy that lives near here. He went to school with my husband's brother. He says "I'm Joe. I heard you need someone to teach you how to shoot an M-16 or AR (whatever)..." Um, yeah. "Well" he said in a voice very similar to Robert Duvall, "I joined the Army right out of high school. I was Infantry and then became a Ranger. I was also a Sniper and taught Sniper School for the Army. But,...I had a bum knee and didn't want to spend the rest of my career stuck behind a desk so I got out. I own a range out here and heard you needed to learn how to shoot."

Well!! Almost slobbering all over myself I blurt out "YES! I am prior service Navy! I shot a pistol in Boot but it misfired (towards my foot) and they took it away from me. I shot a 22 once about 15 years ago...so I am desparate! I need to qualify at the range to make E-6! We go to the range in ONE WEEK. Can you help me?"

He chuckled and said "Sure." He began to ask me a lot of questions and I wrote them down. I made phone calls to find out what he needed to know. I called him back and he began to question me about the range (electronic and he is familiar with it) what weapon (M-16) and did I just want to make marksman or passing. I hesitated and then I said "Well, Joe, the fellas like to joke with me about being "Gavy" and they know I can't shoot. I would love to go in there, act stupid and then blow them all away..." He howled with laughter and then said "ok, we can do that." He outlined the plan of action. We will meet three times this next week. He said that should do it. He has an M-16 and said he would tighten the tension on the trigger. It is set to 3 pounds of pressure now. I am assuming that makes it a "hair trigger" or doesn't take any pressure to pull it.

So to set the "trap" I called the top two Sergeants in my team, SFC Ranger and SFC CIB and said in a very worried tone... "You know I can't shoot...I don't know a thing about weapons... what if I don't qualify??? Should I wear my glasses?" Hee Hee!!

I meet with Joe Ranger on Monday at 0900. I'll keep you posted.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck w/ Qualifiying. We in the ANG have to qual every 3 years. I can hit what I aim at most of the time but am no marksman.

Sunday, December 17, 2006 8:22:00 PM  
Blogger Bradley said...

Just remember 1 thing, take your time, but do it quickly. Sight picture, breath hold, squeeze.

Ok that’s like 4 things but never mind that. The gun will not hurt you; don’t let the noise scare you. Relax and if you can qualify with out shooting at the 300m targets, don’t save the ammo for the 200/250 if you need it. A quick miss is still a miss, and a slower hit is still a hit.


and Good luck.

Monday, December 18, 2006 4:45:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great job Lori. Keep it up. Can you drop me a line, I've got a small request? Pelican4.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 6:42:00 PM  
Blogger SGT Lori said...

David, you'll have to email me, I don't have your addy.
lkfields@bellsouth.net

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 6:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home