Monday, February 06, 2006

Eugene

Sgt Hook has been following a story about a Vet named Eugene. Seems Eugene (and all the other Vets there) is being evicted from his Veteran's home. Sgt Hook asks "What would YOU do?" Indeed, what *would* I do??

I really don't know. As a family, we give money to charities. We have in the past volunteered with different organizations, homeless shelters, soup kitchens etc. I have taken in friends in need. I have, in the past, been stupid and put myself in danger. I am more cautious now.

I was stationed in California in 1988-1991. During that time the Californian's passed legislation that changed the definition of someone who was deemed mentally ill and unable to care for themselves. Overnight the mental hospitals were emptied quite literally and they turned these people out onto the street. People who, prior to the new definition, were taken care of because they were unable to care for themselves. Everyday on my way to the base I saw the newly homeless and it was quite apparent they were mentally ill. It was a shame and I was outraged. I volunteered with a local homeless shelter to help these people. However looking back I can see that a homeless shelter was not the appropriate answer.

I can relate with Shayna, the papers were silent and most people just seemed to not care. It is a sad state of affairs when people are counted as numbers and their value is directly porportional to their income or assets. I think people do care, but are unsure of how to help. Throwing money at something isn't the answer either.

Here in the South "family" is very important. I am not saying that in other parts of the country it is unimportant but, to me, it seems to be the first priority here in the South. Family comes first here. You can do no wrong if you are "family". They may cuss you, they may say hateful things about you, but if you need anything; family is there. That's why I totally understood Shayna asking Eugene of he had any family....

What would *I* do? I'd write the paper. I'd write my political leaders. I would find him accomodations (as she did). I guess I need to get my head out of the sand and see if there are any "Eugene"'s here in my home town....

So please go over to Sgt Hook's and answer the question, or comment here, or go to Shayna's and give her some moral support. But I would like to know what would YOU do??

2 Comments:

Blogger Day by Day said...

Thank you... you are to kind... Great things are happening with this situation... I will post a little later...

Thank you for your support...

-Shayna

Monday, February 06, 2006 9:42:00 PM  
Blogger SGT Lori said...

Keep us posted. Poor Eugene had NO idea his plight would be taken up by such a wonderful person.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 4:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home